In the last week, Paramount Fencing has run 3 fence repair estimates where wood fences caught on fire or vinyl fences melted, all of which were self-inflicted.
So be mindful. According to the NFPA, an estimated 14,070 fires occur annually from spontaneous combustion. Barbecue grills account for another 2600 home and structure fires.
Here are a few things that should never be stored next to a fence.
- Soaked rags or towels of any type of oils, especially linseed oil: Even cooking oils. Large compost, mulch, manure, and leaf piles can spontaneously combust as well given the right conditions.
- Any Item that contains glass. To include old windows, sliding glass doors, stained glass and glass table tops. In combination or singularly, depending on the sun's intensity, the above mention can act as a magnifying glass acting as an ignition source.
- A wood-burning or gas operated barbeque grill. Grills next to a wood fence may result in catching the fence on fire. Place that grill next to a vinyl fence and all it takes is a temperature of 246 Fahrenheit and that vinyl fence will distort. At 500 Fahrenheit that fence will melt.
So Orlando and Central Florida - let us keep it safe and all do our part. Walk around your fence and look for items that can spontaneously combust. Keep your grills five feet off the fence line, and yes that means your neighbor too.